Sweet and sour pork [Chinese:酸甜咕噜肉][Cantonese: gu lou juk] is probably the most popular Chinese dish in US and in many places around the world. This dish is all about the balance. My version of it, you can still have the crunchy middle layer and really soft tender meat inside. The more you eat it, the harder it is to stop. There are tons of ways to make this dish. Every body has different taste. To me, this is perfect.
**INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2 PEOPLE)**
**PREPPING THE PORK**
– Half pound of pork [226 grams] – 1 tbsp soy sauce [Pearl River Bridge Natural Brewed Light Soy Sauce: https://amzn.to/2TdlvOB] – 1/4 tsp of salt
– 1/4 tsp of baking soda
– 1/2 cup of plain flour
– 2 eggs
**FOR STIR FRYING**
– 1 tbsp of garlic
– 2 cups of a colorful bell pepper
– 2 cups of pineapple
**SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE**
– 1/4 cup of ketchup
– 1/4 cup of water
– 1/4 cup of sugar
– 1/4 cup of vinegar
– 2 tbsp of plum sauce [optioal] [Amazon buying choice: http://amzn.to/2uziBKx] – 1 tbsp of corn starch
– 3/4 tsp of salt or to taste
– Cut the pork into half inch cubes. Marinate it with 1 tbsp soy sauce, a 1/4 tsp of salt, and a 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Let it sit over night.
– Whisk 2 eggs, and have some plain flour ready.
– Dip the pork in the egg and then coat it with flour. Do this process twice so the flour layer is thicker. – Heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit [ 176 degrees Celsius]. Deep fry your pork twice. By frying it twice, the crispy layer will last longer, especially when you coat it with the sauce.
– Set it aside. Let’s make the sweet and sour sauce: 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of water, 2 tbsp of plum sauce, 1 tbsp of corn starch and 3/4 tsp of salt (or to taste).
– Cook it on medium heat. Keep stirring it in case it sticks to the bottom. Once it is bubbling, turn the heat to low, just let it cook until it feels sticky but still flowing easily.
– Now, let’s stir fry all the vegetables. Heat up your wok.Add in 1 tbsp of oil, put in 1 tbsp of garlic, let it become fragrant.
– Add in the colorful bell peppers and pineapple. Stir it for around 3 minutes and then add in the pork and sauce. Coat it nicely.
– You are done. You can serve this with rice.
Enjoy your meal! If you have any questions about the recipes, just post a comment, will help you out as soon as possible!
…and if you’ve read this far, might as well subscribe. More recipes coming soon =)
Way too much work. Now I want to go get some takeout sweet and sour pork lol.
You're so adorable! I will definitely make this, can I substitute with chicken?
You are super cute and such a wonderful chef!
Wonderful presentation. The download of your recipe is excellent too.
That looks so good
I am not a great cook, but I looked like a pro thanks to your recipe.
Another great recipe. Like the hint about the plum sauce. I love pork but I was wondering have you ever heard of this being made with tofu?
I'm hooked on your Channel. You demystify Chinese Cooking masterfully. You're delightful, Thx!
Your recipes look amazing. I'm going to try out the sweet and sour this weekend. Thankyou 😀
I’m watching this at 7am and I really want to eat that so badly.
Hi! I've just made this. The best Sweet and Sour Pork recipe ever! I mean ever! Very tender and crunchy at the same time! The sauce is the bomb! Thank you for posting the recipe!
Here I am looking at this beautiful food at 11 at night. You have truly made me hungry. I love sweet and sour pork. Feed me more!
I made your sweet & sour pork recipe for more than 20 people and they loved it. Thank you so much!! I really enjoy your recipes and videos 🙂
Great dish thx
That's fantastic I've been and bought Plum sauce and gonna make it over Xmas. Hi from Oldham UK used to live in Sai Kung before your time. Great place miss the food
Despite not actually being Chinese, sweet and sour pork is fairly popular in much of Southern China, and also in Hong Kong and Taiwan. But the versions there are MUCH less sweetened. One thing I noticed in Hong Kong is that the pork is usually fried in (unrefined I assume) peanut oil and has a definite peanut flavor.
Hi.. New subscriber here 😊 thanks