SUBSCRIBE for new videos every week: https://www.youtube.com/user/joannasohofficial Why I prefer fermented vegetables over raw. Watch this video through to learn the benefits and recipes. What’s your favourite fermented food? Let me know in the comments below. =)
Joanna is a certified Personal Trainer (ACE), Women’s Fitness Specialist (NASM) and Nutrition Coach.
Stay connected and follow me:
Tweets by Joanna_Soh
(Subscribe to my website for printable workouts & recipes)
1) 3lbs / 2kg of Green Cabbage, shredded
2) 1.5 tbsps. Salt
1) Simple combine the cabbage and salt. Begin working the salt into the cabbage by massaging and squeezing the cabbage with your hands until the cabbage is watery and limp. This will take about 5 to 10 minutes. Be patient!
2) Grab handfuls of the cabbage and pack them into your jars. Pour any liquid released by the cabbage into the jar.
3) Then place one of the larger outer leaves of the cabbage over the surface to cover the cabbage.
4) To weigh the cabbage down, slip a smaller jar into the mouth of the jar. I’ve added stones into the small jar to add weight.
5) You want to make sure that the cabbage is fully submerged beneath its liquid. Cover the mouth of the jar with a cloth to make sure it’s airtight.
6) Allow the cabbage to ferment for 3 to 10 days, keeping the sauerkraut away from direct sunlight and at a cool room temperature
This sauerkraut is a fermented product so it will keep for at least two months and often longer if kept refrigerated.
JAPANESE PICKLED CUCUMBER
1) 3 Japanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
2) 2 tsps. Salt
3) ¼ cup Rice Vinegar
4) 2 tbsps. Brown Sugar
6) 2 tbsps. Sesame Seeds
1) In a bowl, add the cucumber and sprinkle it with the salt. Set aside for five minutes.
2) Rinse off the salt and drain the cucumbers.
3) Combine all ingredients in a bowl: rice vinegar, brown sugar, sesame seeds. Mix well.
4) Transfer into a jar and let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. And this is really to be eaten. This goes perfectly with rice!
PICKLED CABBAGE & CARROT
1) 3 cups Red Cabbage, shredded
2) 1 cup Carrot, thinly sliced
3) 2 tsps. Salt
4) 1 cup Rice Vinegar
5) 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
6) ½ tsp. Sesame Oil
7) Pinch of hot chili flakes
1) In a large bowl, toss the cabbage together with the carrots. Set aside.
2) In saucepan over medium heat, stir together the vinegar, sugar, sesame oil chili flakes and salt. Mix until sugar has dissolved for about 3 minutes. Allow the sauce mixture to cool down.
3) Then pour it over the cabbage and carrot mixture and toss well. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight. The next day, transfer the cabbage mixture into airtight jar.
All the recipes will store for a long time in the fridge, So you can make a huge batch and consume 1 – 2 servings daily.
Video Rating: / 5