Lu Rou Fan is a Taiwanese braised pork and rice dish. The meat is typically stewed for at least an hour and a half so it is so tender. If you’ve never had it before, you should give it a try!
**FOR MARINATING THE PORK BELLY**
– 2 tbsp of light soy sauce [2汤匙生抽]
– 1 tbsp of Shao Xing wine [1汤匙绍兴酒
– 500 g of pork belly [500克猪五花肉]
**FOR MAKING THE FRIED SHALLOTS**
– 2 shallots [2个红葱头] – 1/2 cup of vegetable oil [1/2杯植物油]
**FOR BRAISING THE PORK BELLY**
– 1/3 cup of Shao Xing wine [1/3杯绍兴酒] – 2 tbsp of soy sauce [2汤匙生抽] – 1/3 cup of fried shallot [1/3杯炸洋葱] – 3 slices of ginger [3片姜] – 2 pieces of star anise [2个八角] – 50 grams of rock sugar [50克冰糖] – 3 cloves of garlic [3瓣蒜] – 1 tsp of dark soy sauce [1茶匙老抽] – 1 tsp of five spice [1茶匙五香粉] – 1 and a half liters of water ( If your pot/wok is air-tight, use less water) [1.5升水，如果你的锅密封性很好，可以放少一点水]
**ADD WHEN SERVING**
– 1 Egg [1个鸡蛋] – Bok choy [上海青]
**HOW TO COOK**
**MARINATE THE PORK BELLY**
– Cut the pork belly into strips. Then cut it into small size. It is about half inch thick.
-Mix it with 2 tbsp of soy sauce, and 1 tbsp of Shao xing wine. Set it aside for at least 30 minutes.
**FRY THE SHALLOTS**
– Cut the shallots into thin strips。
– Add 1/2 cup of oil to a small sauce pot, fry the shallots on low heat. It will take about 5-8 minutes to get it golden brown.
– Strain it And you got your fried shallots.
**BRAISE THE PORK BELLY**
– Heat up your wok. Add in your pork belly without oil. Stir fry it on medium heat.
– Once you see it is getting a little burned on the bottom, then add the Shao xing wine, soy sauce, rock sugar, ginger, garlic, star anise and a pinch of five spice. Keep stirring it until the sugar melts.
– Pour in 1 and half liter of water.
– Add in the fried shallot we made before and add a tsp of dark soy sauce for color.
– Bring it to a boil. `
– Turn the heat to low, let it stew for 1 -2 hours, depends on how tender you want.
– After 1 and half hours the sauce still pretty thin. And there is a lot of fat floating on the top. Skim out the fat so your pork won’t be too oily.
– Now you gonna turn the heat to high, start reducing the sauce. It will just take about few minutes. You will see a lot of bubbles and the sauce is getting thick.
– When the sauce is almost gone, you can turn off the heat.
This is perfect to serve with rice. Serve it with some vegetables and an egg for a nicely balanced meal!
Hope you enjoy! If you have any questions, just post a comment.
…and if you’ve read this far, might as well subscribe. More recipes coming soon =)