Vegetable side dish is something that will be on our dinner table almost every day and I am surprised that I didn’t share that many stir-fry vegetable dish in the past so today I gonna show you 3 examples (Garlic Stir Fry You Choy, Stir Fry Mixed Veggies With Oyster Sauce, Spicy Shredded Lotus Root). They are easy, delicious and vegan-friendly.
Vegan Oyster sauce video link: https://youtu.be/Fdx8vmvtgCY
THE FIRST ONE – Suan Rong You Choy (蒜蓉菜心).
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BLANCHING
– 1 pound of fresh Choy Sum
– 6 cups of water
– 1 tsp of salt
– 1 tbsp of oil
INGREDIENTS FOR STIR-FRY
– The Choy Sum that we blanched
– 1 tbsp of oil
– 1 tbsp of minced garlic
– 1 tsp of minced ginger
– 3/4 tsp of salt
– 1/2 tsp of sugar
– 2 tsp of cornstarch
– 2 tbsp of water
– Wash the You Choy completely. Take a knife, cut open the stem so it cooks more even.
– Blanch the You Choy. In a pot of boiling water, add in 1 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of vegetable oil. Salt and oil can keep the vegetable stay green and shiny. Let the stem touch the water first. Wait for about 15 seconds. Drop the rest down. and let it blanch for another 10 seconds. Take it out. Put it in some ice water to stop the cooking process.
– In the meanwhile, make a quick sauce: 3/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of cornstarch, 3 tbsp of water. Mix it up and you can heat up your wok.
– Add 1 tbsp of oil, 1/4 cup of roughly minced garlic, 1.5 tsp of minced ginger. Stir them for about 10 seconds. Take the You Choy out of the ice bath and shake the excess water. Add it to the wok. Stir it for 10 seconds. Pour in the sauce. Quickly toss everything for another 10 seconds. The sauce should be thickened and coat the choy sum properly. You can take it out and serve.
THE SECOND ONE – Stir fry mix veggies with oyster sauce (蚝油炒杂菜).
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE
– 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
– 2 tsp of soy sauce
– a little touch of black pepper
– 3 tbsp of water
INGREDIENTS FOR STIR FRY
– 1.5 tbsp of oil to stir-fry
– 1.5 cup of sweet broccoli (Can be switched with the regular broccoli)
– 2/3 cup of black fungus (can be switched with kelp)
– 2/3 cup of carrot slices
– 1.5 cup of cabbage
– 2/3 cup of mushroom
– 1.5 cup of long bean (green bean)
– 1.5 tbsp of garlic or more
– 1.5 tsp of ginger
– salt to taste
– Make the sauce: 2 tbsp of vegan or regular oyster sauce, 2 tsp of soy sauce, a little touch of black pepper, 3 tbsp of water. Mix it up.
– Soak the dried black fungus for 4 hours, rib it into bite size.
– Do the same thing to the dried mushrooms. You can also use some fresh mushroom for this recipe. Slice them and set it aside.
– Cut off the top flowering part of the broccoli. You will have some big stems left. Don’t waste it. Just Cut it into a smaller size. Set that aside as well.
– Rib the cabbage into bite size.
– For the long beans, remove the end and cut it into 3 inches long.
– cut the carrots into bite size.
– Heat up your wok. Add 1.5 tbsp of oil, about 1.5 tbsp along with the carrot, broccoli stem, and the long beans. Stir them on medium heat. You can cover the lid, which allows them to cook faster and more even. keep cooking them until you think it is good. Add in the rest of the broccoli and the cabbage. Stir them for another 3 minutes. Then add the black fungus, mushroom.
– Give them a rough mix then put the garlic and ginger the last so you don’t burn them.
– Keep stirring them until you can smell the aromatic coming up. Pour in the sauce. Mix them well so the sauce coats everything. Taste and adjust the flavor and you are ready to serve.
THE LAST ONE – Spicy stir fry shredded lotus root [青椒炒藕丝].
-1/2 pound of lotus root
– 1.5 cup of shredded green pepper
– 1/2 tbsp of shredded ginger
– Some dried hot chilies
– 1.5 tbsp of minced garlic
– Few pieces of the white part of spring onion
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– 1/2 tsp of sugar
-2.5 tsp of soy sauce
– Peel the lotus root skin. Cut it into thin shreds.
– Put the shredded lotus into cold water.
– You will also need some fresh green peppers. Remove the seed and cut it into thin shreds as well.
– Have some red dried chilies. Cutting it open and remove the seeds. If you don’t eat spicy food, you don’t need to add this.
– Heat up your wok and add some oil. Throw in the shredded pepper, along with some aromatics: shredded ginger, white part of spring onion, some garlic, and the dried hot chilies. Stir them on medium-high heat for 1 minute.
– I like to add some salt and sugar at this point so the seasoning has enough time to balance out the spiciness. Keep stirring it until the pepper just about to turn soft. Then add in the lotus root which I drain out all the water already. Stir everything together.
– The lotus root will take about 3-4 minutes to cook. Just be patience. Wait for it to become playable. Add 2.5 tsp of soy sauce. Mix it up until the color is evenly changed and you are ready to serve.
Video Rating: / 5